How not to give a fuck


The title pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Back around the end of October I spotted this book while wandering Glasgow central station. I was hesitant to get it as I figured I already had a kind of 'don't give a fuck' attitude, but this book opened my eyes into ways I could give less fucks.

I think 2016 was the year that I realised a lot about myself.

I don't need to constantly chat with someone, either friends or family. I'm so content in my own company that in all honesty, I sometimes find chatting and small talk so tedious. I can manage it for a short period of time and then, after a while, all my awkwardness starts to seep out and I either get really weird or I think of some excuse and walk off. Or, similarly, I just won't text you back. It's nothing personal, I'm just not that into chatting about every-little-detail of your life. Soz.

I also found that I don't give a fuck about what people think about me. I've generally always been like this, but more so recently. I read something that one of my family posted on Facebook, you know, those awful glittery moving gifs with an inspirational quote on them? This one was split into several parts, but the part that stood out most for me was "other people's opinions of you are none of your business". I mean, it sounds weird. But it actually made sense to me. Why should I care what other people think about me, it's not going to change their opinion of me just because I know what they're thinking. If they don't like me, me knowing that fact isn't going to suddenly make them like me any more than they already do. So now, I don't even bother myself with pretending to care.

But, the biggest thing this book taught me, was not to give a fuck about the little things. SO many things used to bother me. People cutting in front of me in a queue, everyone slamming forward to get on to the train when it pulls up (even though the train hasn't even finished moving yet!), slow walkers, etc. Now, none of that bothers me any more. And if I do feel that little inclination of annoyance, I just ignore it and focus on my own thoughts or what I'm doing.

Can we just all acknowledge that slow walkers are the worst, though?

That aside, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who would like the freedom of not giving a fuck, or if like me, you're looking to expand on your not giving a fuck-ness. I've read through this three times in the short space of time that I've had it. It generally lives in the bag I take to work, too, just case I need to remind myself to not give a fuck when I'm being crushed on a busy train home from work. Sometimes it's difficult, but it makes like so much simpler.


thank you for reading!  
keep up to date with all posts on bloglovin!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.