why I love a good #selfie

#selfie

Like most people, who have a smart phone with a somewhat decent camera, I have Instagram. With Instagram comes the Selfie. I'm assuming that everyone reading this knows what a selfie is, but for those of you who have been hibernating, it's a self-portrait picture. I'm definitely no stranger to a selfie, I generally post one or two every few weeks. Now I know that people know what my face looks like, so why would I be posting it continuously online? Let me enlighten you why I do it and why it's a glorious thing to do.

1. It makes me feel good about my looks.
This seems like a shallow reason to post your face, but no one out there can say that they don't get a tiny bit happy when people 'like' their selfie. You'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't care. It's obviously a bit of a boost to your self esteem when people think you look good, and who doesn't want that?

2. It's a major confidence boost.
Having zero confidence as a child and being bullied for the way I looked really stunted any kind of healthy growth I should have had in myself. Now, years later, I actually feel good about the way I look. If thirteen year old me could see, that in just ten years time, all the bullying made no difference, she is just as pretty as she ever was, it would have made all those days dreading going to go school a little bit easier.

3. It's a good excuse to wear make up and do your hair.
I work full time in a phone shop, so my need to wear make up and properly do my hair is minimal. In fact, I don't really do much. I spend most days with my hair tied back and barely wear any make up at all. It's nice to have a reason to want to get all dressed up with make up etc. Quite frankly, if I didn't, it'd make all those boxes of make up pretty useless.

4. It lets other girls compliment each other and actually mean it.
Girls are mean. We are. A lot of time is spent judging other girls, either by their looks or their clothes, and as females, there is a lot of competition out there to look perfect. When you 'like' a selfie online, what you're actually saying is 'hey girl, you look good'. I can't tell you how many times I've felt good about myself when someone a millions times hotter than I am likes my selfie.

Lastly and most importantly...

5. Selfies aren't really for anyone else other than me.
It's kind of in the name isn't it, SELFie. I post a selfie because I think I look good. It's my face and it looks fantastic right now. I post it for me. I'm not posting my face online because I think it's going to benefit someone else, I'm posting it because I want other people to know that I thought I looked good. Simple really.

There you have it, my love for a #selfie.

tl;dr - post a selfie just because you can.


thank you for reading! // bloglovin | twitter | instagram

3 comments

  1. People are shocked when i say i dont take selfies, i dont even have a front facing camera on my phone, the most recent picture of me was taken 3 years ago, just dont like the way i look, never have to be honest but your really pretty, and im not against people taking them.

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! I feel like in todays society when there are so many pressures and things that can be wrong with us, sometimes we need to celebrate ourselves. I get sick of hearing stories on current affairs programs calling the 'selfie generation' (ugh, I hate that word) self absorbed and vain. Now more than ever companies are making more and more money off of making ourselves feel crap. I think its sad when it comes to the point that people are being called vain for daring not to completely hate themselves 24/7. Self esteem is hard enough these days when there are so many conflicting ideals you have to be all at once. I think that the world would be so much better if we all loved ourselves a little bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm yet to perfect the art of the selfie. I love all of these points though, makes me want to start taking more!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.